Jesusa Sonora was born on July 28, 1941 in the Philippines in Bacolod. She has reigned as Queen of the Philippine Movies and the widow of Ronald Allan Kelley Poe, popularly known as Fernando Poe, Jr.
Susan Roces—She was introduced in Boksingera where she co-starred with comedy king Dolphy. Then films came one after another, including Handsome. Mga Anghel ng Lansangan (with Jose Mari), The Big Broadcast (with Amalia Fuentes), Prinsesang Gusgusin, Sa Hardin ng Diyos, Bandana and Maruja (both with Romeo Vasquez). She appeared in many films with reel and real life husband Fernando Poe Jr. These included Ang Daigdig Koy Ikaw, Pilipinas Kong Mahal, Langit at Lupa, Divina Grasya, Salaginto’t Salagubang, Sorrento and Karnabal. The couple also poularized the box-office series of Manager-Kumander films.
Her sister, Rosemarie Sonora, and niece Sheryl Cruz, are also actresses.
Following the death of her husband in 2004 at the age of 65, Roces became a rallying point for the political opposition in the Philippines.
In June 2005 she was one of the key figures calling for the resignation of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. In a fiery speech, she claimed that "She stole the presidency not once, but twice!"
Ay siya, liyebo seis man ay maganda parin at mukha pa ring reyna.
Mas magaling ang kaniyang ginawa ngayon na lumabas ulit sa telebisyon kaysa makisama sa mga pulitiko na alam ko namang hindi rin siya comfortable hanepo. Tama na ang once, no more twice.
Ito ang balita:
Susan turns 65 today
by : Mario E. Bautista
SUSAN Roces, who's celebrating her 65th birthday today • Happy Birthday! • is back on screen in the new ABS-CBN 2 sitcom John En Shirley, where she plays Maricel Soriano's mom-in-law, Encarnacion or En.
We've seen its pilot episode as megged by topnotch director Bert de Leon and it's wholesome entertainment for the entire family.
The original John & Marsha ran for 17 years.
In this spinoff, Marsha has passed away and the scene where Dolphy as John talks to the photo of the late Nida Blanca is very touching. We saw both Susan and Marya crying as they watched the show.
Marya as Shirley is now married to newcomer Richie Macapagal (a TV and print ad model who auditioned for the sitcom) and they have two kids, Janna Baker and Ivan Da-vid. The program opens with John saying goodbye to the plane his son Rollie took to move to the US with his family. Shirley then takes him home to live with her husband and in-laws. En is married to Noel Trinidad, a henpecked husband, who doesn't talk when she is around and opens his mouth only when she's away.
What made Susan accept John En Shirley?
"I was both excited and nervous when producer Kitchie Benedicto offered me the show," she says. "Excited, as I was a follower of the show [John & Marsha], but also nervous and hesitant, as I'm wondering if I will be a credit to the new show. But after taping the first episodes with the cast, I'm now proud to be in it and it's an honor to be working again with Dolphy, who taught me how to do comedy in my first starring role, Boksingera Daw. It's also nice to work with Marya again, with whom I did Inday Sa Balitaw. I like my role as it's complex. Hindi siya todo-todong mabait, may pagkamataray rin, suplada at mahilig magbigay ng unsolicited advice without knowing she hurts the feelings of John."
The pilot episode's ending gives you a sense of deja vu as it ends with En, assuming the Donya Delilah role, telling John: "Magsumikap ka."
How does she think FPJ would react to her accepting the show?
"I really believe that Ronnie has something to do with me being offered this show. He wants me to work and be busy again. I never expected they'd offer the role of En to me, but I think after going through some hard times, it's time for me, for us, to laugh again."
Noel Trinidad says never in his wildest dreams did he think that he'd one day be paired with Susan, a movie queen, and even play her husband.
"That's why there was no reluctance for me when they offered me the role," he says. "I said okey lang kahit walang dialogue, na tinotoo naman nila."
John En Shirley starts airing this Saturday after Komiks.
* 1952 - Mga Bituin ng Kinabukasan - Nepomuceno Pictures
* 1956 - Miss Tilapya - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1956 - Boksingera - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1956 - Kulang sa 7 - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1957 - Sino ang Maysala - Vera Perez Pictures
* 1957 - Pasang Krus - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1957 - Mga Anak ng Diyos - Vera Perez Pictures
* 1957 - Mga Ligaw na Bulaklak - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1957 - Prinsesang Gusgusin - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1958 - Ako ang Maysala - Vera Perez Pictures
* 1958 - Mga Reyna ng Vicks - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1958 - Madaling Araw - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1958 - Tawag ng Tanghalan - Vera Perez Pictures
* 1958 - Ulilang Anghel - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1959 - Wedding Bells - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1959 - Mga Anghel sa Lansangan - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1960 - Beatnik - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1964 - The Dolly Sisters - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1965 - Portrait of My Love - Sampaguita Pictures
* 1968 - To Susan with Love
* 1968 - Bakasin Mo sa Gunita
* 1968 - Bandana
* 1968 - Sorrento
* 1968 - Maruja
* 1968 - Kulay Rosas ang Pag-ibig
* 1969 - Perlas ng Silangan FPJ Production
* 1974 - Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara
* 1977 - Gumising ka, Maruja
* 1986 - Payaso aka Clown
* 1988 - Buy One, Take One - Viva Films
* 1989 - Mundo Man ay Magunaw
* 1990 - Feel na Feel - Regal Films
* 1997 - Isinakdal ko ang Aking Ina
* 2003 - Mano Po 2: My Home
Back to Movie Celebrities
entertainment, Philippine movie actors , Philippine movie actresses ,entertainment, Philippine movie actors , Susan Roces